- We will retain a vibrant district general hospital in Burton including our A&E.
For Queen’s Hospital in Burton, our fundamental principle is that we will retain a vibrant district general hospital in the town, keeping and improving the core services we offer as part of that, including our A&E. With just one or two exceptions, our plans do not involve services moving.
- We will sustain and develop existing specialised services in Derby.
We will have access to a wider population base, enabling us to sustain and extend specialist services, such as cancer surgery and spinal services, with clear benefits to local people across Derbyshire and Staffordshire.
- We will introduce services in our community hospitals at Lichfield and Tamworth that recognise the changing needs of the two populations.
There will be an opportunity for our community hospitals facilities to offer some different services that are more relevant locally. These services would be heavily aligned with the local GPs and will offer more diagnostic work and specialist outpatients, as well as potentially more day case procedures (including specialist clinics such as spine, from Derby consultants) and more locally-focused end of life care.
- We will retain patient choice
Patient choice is at the heart of the NHS and patients will continue to be able to choose whether they access services at Burton or Derby. Indeed, patients will have more choice in the future as our community hospitals will be offering some different services that are more relevant locally. These services will result in us working more closely than ever with our local GPs.
- We will only make changes that will improve services and there are no plans to privatise them or make wholesale staff redundancies.
Our key aims are to improve the quality of the services we offer patients, and to improve the health of our local populations by dealing effectively with the challenges we face on a daily basis. Patients and the public can be assured that the proposed merger is not about privatisation at all and we have no plans to privatise services or make wholesale staff redundancies.